Barbell Work For Bay State Athletes — Week of 4.14.14
Hey Bay State Games Athletes,
Your strength work each week will be the 3 programmed strength classes currently available Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. In addition, I will be posting an extra day of “Barbell Patterning” in which all of the exercises listed will be done with an empty barbell and ONLY an empty barbell. The point of this work is to build your technique from a neurological standpoint as many of you are new to snatching, etc.
This work can be done before or after any of your regular WOD classes, mobility classes, or endurance classes. I would NOT recommend doing it after a lifting class, but doing it before may be a good way to warm up for some of you who can get here early.
Snatch Work (~10-15 minutes)
- Behind-the-neck strict press: 3-4 sets of 10 reps
- Overhead squats (partial or full depending on mobility, keep arms locked out fully): 3-4 sets of 10 reps
- Behind-the-neck push jerk: 3-4 sets of 10 reps
- Tall muscle snatch (no leg drive, just focus on high elbows, turnover, and lockout): 3-4 sets of 10 reps
Jerk Work (~10 minutes)
- Split jerk footwork (NO BARBELL): 3 sets of 10 reps (jump and land in a split position)
- Strict press from split: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Strict press into split (strict press to eye level, then drive under into a split to finish): 3 sets of 10 reps
This supplemental work, once again, must be done with an EMPTY BAR and is designed to drill good execution and positions. Feel free to email me any questions at email@example.com.